Kismet Rock Foundation – Executive Director Job Description
Situation and Opportunity:
Kismet is a stable, financially healthy organization that will offer programing for six weeks next summer and return to the usual eight weeks in 2023. In addition, supplemental programming will be developed for students during the school year. The Executive Director collaborates closely with the Program Manager in all aspects of the organization. The Board seeks to hire a dynamic Executive Director to continue to lead the organization to new levels of success.
Position Reports To:
Kismet Rock Foundation Board of Directors, a diverse group of committed volunteers.
- Planning – The Executive Director (ED) develops specific short-term and long-term plans for the organization’s mission and growth, manages the program leaders to fulfill these plans, monitors variances, and develops and initiates alternatives as needed.
- Execution – The ED directs projects, programs, and major organizational activities for the maximum utilization of human and financial resources. This includes hiring, orientation, and evaluation of staff and volunteers; overseeing all property including equipment; ensuring safe, efficient, high-quality programming; conducting evaluations in all areas of the organization; budget development and monitoring.
- Fundraising – The ED prospects, identifies and continuously cultivates donors and fundraising opportunities. This includes current and future individual, business, and foundation donors. Special events include social media campaigns and community activities.
- Nonprofit Administration – The ED will possess a broad understanding of the nonprofit world and have the experience to ensure legal, fiduciary, and ethical accountability and governance.
- Leadership – The ED facilitates the development of staff and volunteers by supporting and nurturing intentional, collaborative behavior and helping to imbue agreed upon organizational values in all its activities.
- Guardian and Ambassador – The ED will be a skilled ambassador and guardian of the vision and values of the organization while assisting the Board to refine them. They are a trustworthy, credible, and passionate spokesperson for Kismet while effectively representing the organization to its various constituencies: participants, their schools and families, staff, volunteers, donors, grantors, sponsors, media, the public, and collaborative partners.
Required personal qualities and skills:
- Motivated self-starter with a high energy level to be comfortable managing multifaceted long-term development projects in conjunction with daily activities
- Outstanding organizational, verbal, and communication skills
- Maturity and flexibility to get along with diverse personalities while facilitating and nurturing relationships throughout the organization
- Good technical writing skills, including grant proposals, policies/procedures, press releases and newsletter/web copy
- Financial analysis and budgeting experience
- Ability to attract, hire, motivate, mentor, and lead quality staff; make difficult staff decisions
- Ability to implement, without close supervision, the Board’s and the organization’s goals and policies
- Be a visionary and an innovator, able to facilitate and excel through change
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback
- Commitment to stay abreast with current outdoor education (OE), including OE theory, race relations, class relations in OE students, teaching theory, evaluation/testing/assessment procedures
- Good computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and ability to develop newsletters and other publications
- Experience with accounting software preferred
- Special event management background helpful
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- Experience with staff, operational, fundraising, and financial management
- An interest or experience in climbing and outdoor education
The compensation range for this position is $50,000 to $65,000 per year which includes a medical insurance stipend.
Please submit a cover letter up to two pages in length that illustrates your understanding of the Kismet Rock Foundation mission, your enthusiasm for the mission, and answers why you are suited for the Executive Director position. Please also submit a resume or CV. Letters of reference a plus. Submit all application materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.