Climbing Instructor (Seasonal)– Kismet Rock Foundation
Climbing Instructors for Kismet Rock Foundation provide the instruction, risk management, and support required to create a safe, inclusive, and fun learning environment for our unique, and under-served, population. The program generally runs Monday through Saturday of each week in July and August. This position is seasonal and we try to provide our instructors with at least one week of work each summer. Returning instructors are scheduled to stay with their original student group whenever possible. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Kismet Rock Foundation (Kismet), founded in 2000, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization based in North Conway, New Hampshire that nourishes the physical, intellectual, and emotional development of rural and urban children throughout New England before they enter their perilous teen years. Our success in saving children is accomplished by providing scholarships for a comprehensive education in technical rock climbing within the context of a stable and loving family-like atmosphere. Kismet is most accurately seen as a school, with an intensive four-year (one week per summer) rock climbing curriculum plus internship opportunities for graduates. By developing students’ potential, Kismet prepares students to positively contribute to their communities and their culture throughout their lives. Students are accepted from select schools around New England.
More at www.kismetrockfoundation.org
Position Reports To:
- Climbing Instruction – An ideal candidate will possess the skills to deliver the Kismet climbing curriculum to a variety of students and learning styles.
- Risk Management– An ideal candidate possesses the ability to create and maintain a physically and emotionally safe environment in a dynamic setting.
- Multi-pitch Guiding – An ideal candidate must possess the ability to guide Kismet students through a variety of complex climbing terrain.
- Relationship Building– An ideal candidate will be able to nurture and support compassionate and inclusive behavior in the student group. Climbing Instructors will also seek to understand the students on an individual level so they can better meet their needs.
Required Professional Experience:
- All Kismet instructors must either:
- have completed the AMGA 10-day Rock Guide Course and have worked full time for at least two years with a reputable guide service.
- have had a minimum of 5 years experience as a full time climbing guide on terrain at least equivalent to the complexity and size of New Hampshire cliffs.
- Must be WFR and CPR certified.
Desirable Personal Qualities:
Because the lives of Kismet students have been significantly financially and emotionally challenging, it is important that our instructors are open to the specific quality of each child. In addition, our Kismet population is ethnically and culturally diverse. For example, a significant number of our students are first generation citizens from Africa, the Caribbean, and the Middle East. This means that to contribute positively to our students’ lives instructors must be gentle, patient, personally responsive, and non-presumptuous regarding students’ perspectives and beliefs. Our instructors must understand that success in climbing is specific to each child.
We seek staff who have a desire to contribute to the lives of others.
In addition to the professional experience noted above, ideal candidates will have had experience working with groups and with highly vulnerable children of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Though not necessary, some post-high school education is a plus.
(It should be noted that since we are not a therapeutic organization, experience in counseling is not necessary.)
While performing the duties of this position, the Kismet Climbing Instructor is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, ascend/descend stairs, and play active games. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
$185 per day.
Application process will be open until positions are filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references (two from a reputable guiding service) to: firstname.lastname@example.org